DHI vs FUE Method: Hair Transplant Procedures
If you are considering a hair transplant procedure, you have probably come across a series of different techniques during your research.
In this article, we will define and compare two of the most innovative and popular hair transplant procedures: FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) and DHI (Direct Hair Implantation).
FUE Hair Transplant Method
FUE hair transplant surgery has gained in popularity over the last decade. Unlike the classic technique, FUT (or Follicular Unit Transplantation), grafts are extracted and implanted one at a time, and no strip of skin is removed. As a consequence, FUE does not leave any visible scarring and ensures natural-looking results.
- During an FUE hair transplant, the surgeon manually extracts each follicle one at a time and places them into a storage solution. Once extraction is complete, the surgeon will open the canals for the grafts to be implanted.
- Grafts are taken out of the solution and implanted into the recipient area using microblades and fine needles.
- First results are visible after 6 months, while you can expect full hair regrowth around 12 months after the procedure.
DHI Method (Direct Hair Implantation Method)
This is a relatively new procedure and just like FUE, it leaves no visible scars and results look natural. While the graft extraction process is similar to FUE, there are a few differences worth noting.
For the first step, hair follicles are extracted one by one using a specific tool with a diameter of 1mm or less. The hair follicles are then implanted directly into the recipient area using an implanter tool, also known as Choi Implanter Pen. With DHI, no holes or slits are created before the implantation.
DHI hair transplant (Direct Hair Transplanting) is a technique in which the hair is planted with a special pen called the “Choi” after the hair is removed from the nape of the neck. It has many advantages and is one of the most popular methods in recent times. The DHI method does not require the channels to be opened beforehand in the area where the hair will be added. We put the special hair, which we call Choi, and the hair is planted without the need to open the duct. So the hair is left out for a shorter time. Because in other procedures the hair is kept in special water for 2-4 hours on the average, DHI method is added to the field where hair is taken directly from the hair without any waiting. Another factor is the lack of scarring and the rapid healing of your wounds.
- The hair do goes through only one process instead of two. When the ducts are opened first and then the seeds are planted, the seeds are opened at the same time when the channel is opened directly with the pen. Less hair treatment also plays a big role in the quick recovery of the wounds. Another advantage is that it is possible to plant a frequent transplanting. Especially the front hair line provides a great advantage for frequent making and natural appearance.
- DHI hair transplantation technique, differently from FUE hair transplantation technique is slightly more appropriate in terms opening and cultivation of the hair follicles. Grafts (hair follicles) as in the classical FUE technique are generally taken from the root of the nape (are very rarely it can be taken from beard or chest) and the hair is planted in the region. The technique of DHI hair transplantation is quite different from other techniques.
- The special technique which is used in the DHI hair transplantation deal with a more advanced technology than the techniques which are available nowadays.What this technique tend to bring firstly is to perform a lifelong guaranteed hair transplantation without using a scalpel or suture and opening a hole in the scalp. By having the procedure done in one single session, it will be possible to have a more natural looking and very dense hair.
- The main difference in the application of the technique is the usage of an improved pen in the last few years. Grafts are taken with a surgical pen which rangs between 0.6 mm and 1 mm and they are transported without cleaning the scalp after opening and cleaning. This technique, which requires more attention, precision and effort than other methods, offers many advantages to hair transplant patients.
We Can See The Benefits Of DHI Hair Transplantation Techniques Mentioned in Here:
- Thanks to the fine-tipped structure of the hair sowing pen, hair transplantation can be performed much more frequently and much faster.
- The direction of hair growth with the hair sowing pen can be determined as desired. And it is much more possible to give the hair a more natural look.
- Not being necessary to open channels in the area where the hair will be planted, the existing hair follicles this are not damaged in any way during transport.
- The fact that no holes are drilled in the area where hair transplantation is performed, there is a minimal risk of. In this way, the healing process becomes much shorter.
- The retention of the hair follicles sown is much higher.
- The new planted hair follicles start to grow faster. This is because the hair follicles are planted without waiting for the cell division to resume.
- No sutures and scalpels are used, so there will not be any visible scars remain after recovery is complete.
- There is little damage to the donor area where the hair intake is performed. Therefore, the recovery in this region will be faster.
- The hairline and frequency on the forehead can be planned as it should be and a very natural look can be achieved.
- Local anesthesia is applied in DHI hair transplantation technique to eliminate the sensation of pain.
- The patient can go back to his daily routine after the surgery without any problem.
- Recovery time is similar to FUE and full results are visible 12 months after the procedure.
What is the difference between DHI and FUE?
- The main difference between FUE and DHI method is in the way grafts are implanted into the recipient area.
- While during FUE the surgeon manually implants the extracted grafts, with DHI a specific implanter tool (also known as Choi Implanter Pen) is used. Moreover, FUE requires canal opening prior to implantation. DHI allows the implantation to happen right after extraction, without the need to create holes or slits for the grafts to be implanted.
- Follicular unit extraction and it is a method of collecting grafts, but in the process, called micro motor tools were used to open the holes where the hair was placed into the canal and the name of the cultivation technique was known as FUE.